Party perfect! This gluten free cake is sure to brighten up a children's birthday party.
1 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
165g butter at room temperature
165g caster Sugar
3 medium eggs at room temperature
5 tsp cold water
1 ½ tsp pure extract of vanilla
500g icing sugar (sieved)
225g butter at room temperature
1 tsp natural extract of vanilla
75g firm set jam
500g gluten free white fondant icing
75g each of red, blue and yellow fondant icing
Coloured thin ribbon and candles
Cake smoothers or palette knives
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Beat sponge cake ingredients together with an electric whisk for a full 2 minutes to give a smooth dropping consistency. Place into a deep 20cm cake tins which have been greased and have their bases lined with baking parchment.
2. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes at 160°/140°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 or until the sponge springs back when lightly touched in the centre. Turn out onto cooling tray and leave until cold before cutting horizontally in half.
3. Prepare the buttercream. Beat icing sugar gradually into the softened butter and vanilla. Spread bottom sponge with half the buttercream and the jam and sandwich together with top sponge. Spread remaining butter cream thinly to cover cake top and sides.
4. Roll out white fondant icing to a £1 coin thickness on a work surface dusted with icing sugar. Cover cake top and sides and smooth icing out from the corners using cake smoothers or 2 palette knives. Trim away excess icing.
5. Roll out coloured fondants between sheets of baking parchment and cut into rounds to decorate cake. Fasten ribbon and top with candles.