1 Hours 50 - minutes
Real comfort food, this delicious gluten free pie is perfect for a winter's day.
110g butter (soft)
1 medium egg
1 tbsp cold water
A small amount of flour mix for dusting
2 tbsp paprika
1.5kg stewing/braising steak
1 can chopped tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
½ stick celery
A cup of red wine
A sprig of thyme
250g button mushrooms
1 egg for brushing
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli
1 clove garlic
500g chopped fresh tomato
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper
6 x 325ml ramekin dishes
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Preheat oven to 170° C/150° Fan/Gas 3.
2. Mix 2 tbsp flour mix and paprika in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
3. Chop up the steak and add to the mixture until all the steak is covered.
4. Place in a casserole dish and add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery, red wine and thyme and mix well.
5. Cover the casserole dish and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours stirring occasionally.
6. Prepare the pastry. Place 115g of flour mix into a bowl with the butter, egg and water and mix to a smooth paste with a fork. Work in the remaining flour mix first with a fork and then by hand and bring together to make a ball.
7. Knead on a work surface lightly dusted with flour mix for two minutes.
8. Add the mushrooms to the pie mixture, re-cover and return to the oven until beef and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.
9. Remove from the oven. Increase the temperature of the oven to 190ËšC/170Ëš Fan/Gas 5.
10. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until approximately 3mm/ ¼ inch thickness.
11. Cut out six circles of pastry (the 325ml ramekin is an ideal cutter) but leave 1cm extra pastry around each one.
12. Put the pie filling into 6 x 325ml (1 ½ cup) ovenproof ramekins and cover with the pastry circles, pushing down the edges around the rim of the ramekin.
13. Brush with the egg and make a small cut in the pastry lid with a knife to allow steam to escape.
14. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until the pastry is golden
15. Serve with the tomato chutney
Method for chutney
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft.
2. Add the tomatoes and mix well.
3. Add the vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. The chutney should be the consistency of jam.
5. Add salt and pepper to season.