This treat time favourite is simple but delicious; perfect with your gluten free afternoon tea!
11/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder*
170g caster sugar
170g butter at room temperature
3 medium eggs
11/2 tsp natural vanilla essence
*Refer to your Coeliac UK Food and Drink Directory
160g jam, or lemon curd with fresh cream or butter icing (using: 50g soft butter, 110g icing sugar and 1tsp natural vanilla essence)
A small amount of icing sugar, sieved.
To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Place all the sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well for 2 minutes using an electric mixer. Beat until the
mixture is light, pale and fluffy with a soft dropping consistency.
2. Divide the mixture between 2, greased and lined, 20 cm round cake tins.
3. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes at 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3, until the sponge is pale golden brown in colour and the cake springs back when lightly touched.
4. Turn the oven off and open the door for 5-10 minutes before taking the sponges out onto a cooling tray.
5. Sandwich together with your chosen filling and dust the top with the sieved icing sugar.