16 x Sticky Gingerbread Squares
A moist and tempting ginger cake that's sure to be a winner at any event!
175g soft margarine
110g dark muscovado sugar
175g golden syrup
2 tbsp ground ginger
½ tbsp ground mixed spice
1 large egg, lightly whisked
150ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk stirred together with 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
350g washed, topped and tailed rhubarb, cut into chunky pieces
50g stem ginger, diced
50g light brown sugar
1 tbsp water (optional if using forced pink rhubarb)
2 tbsp ginger syrup from jar
To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Base line a 20 x 20 cm tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Place margarine, sugar and syrup in a medium size bowl. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes or until the mixture has melted. Stir to combine.
3. Place mixture along with remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk with a balloon whisk until combined into a runny batter.
4. Pour into the tin and bake at 170°C/150°C Fan/Gas mark 3 until the cake has risen and springs back when lightly touched in the centre.
5. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from tin and transferring to a cooling rack.
6. Cut into 16 squares when cold.
7. For the topping - place all the ingredients in a medium pan, simmer with lid half on for 5 minutes, remove lid and cook a further 5 minutes.
8. When gingerbread is ready to serve top with the ginger rhubarb and cut into 16 portions.