This melt-in-the-mouth Parkin is just perfect for your Bonfire Night party or as a simple tea-time treat!
Top Tip: finish with a toffee sauce for a sticky, gooey top!
150g Soft margarine
100g Dark muscovado sugar
160g Golden syrup
2 x 5ml tsp Ground ginger
1/2 x 5ml tsp Ground mixed spice
1 Large egg, lightly whisked
100ml just boiled Water
1 x 5ml tsp Bicarbonate of soda
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Line a 20 x 30cm x 4cm deep metal or silicone tray or a 9”x 9” square tin with greaseproof paper. Pre heat the oven to 170°C / 150°C Fan.
2. Place margarine, sugar, ginger, mixed spice and syrup in a medium size bowl.
Microwave on full power for 2 minutes or until the mixture has melted and the sugar is fully dissolved. Stir well to combine and leave to cool.
3. Using a hand whisk mix the egg together the milk and the Bicarbonate of Soda, then add that to the syrup mix.
4. Add 100ml of cold water slowly to 10g arrowroot and mix until smooth.
5. Mix arrowroot into to the syrup mixture.
6. Add the Select Fibre Mix to the bowl and quickly mix until smooth – can use hand held whisk.
7. Pour the mixture into your prepared tin. Place into the oven and bake until the cake has risen and springs back when lightly touched in the centre. – Can also use a spear to poke into the middle and see if it comes out clean.
8. Pour into your prepared tin. Place into the preheated 170°C/150° Fan oven. Bake until the cake has risen and springs back when lightly touched in the centre. Between 45-55 min.
Remove from the oven, leave to cool on a wire rack.
This cake is best left to mature for a day or two, simply place in an air tight tin.