1 Hours 20 - minutes
Try this delicious loaf cake filled with dates and walnuts!
225g ready to eat dates, chopped
100g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125ml boiling water
60g chopped walnuts
A beaten egg
Walnut Halves to decorate (6)
900g loaf tin
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C / 150°C Fan / Gas mark 3.
2. Place the butter, dates, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
3. Carefully pour boiling water over the contents of the bowl. Make sure the mixture cools.
4. Add chopped walnuts, beaten egg and the flour mix and mix really well together.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 900g loaf tin.
6. Bake on the middle shelf of your preheated oven 170°C/150°C fan/Gas mark 3 for approximately 80 minutes. Check to see if the loaf is baked by inserting a cake tester. Tester will come out clean if properly baked.
7. Leave the loaf in the tin to settle when baked for 10–15 minutes before turning out and removing paper. Cool on a wire tray.
8. If required dredge with a sprinkle of icing sugar and decorate with your reserved walnut halves. You can secure these with a little apricot jam or a little glace icing.