6 - 8
A traditional favourite and the perfect companion to a morning coffee or afternoon tea.
1 tsp gluten free baking powder*
110g butter (soft)
110g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp coffee granules
2 tsp water (just boiled)
*Refer to Coeliac UK directory
150g butter (soft)
300g icing sugar (sieved)
1 tbsp coffee powder
1 tbsp water (just boiled)
75g walnut halves
8 coffee beans
To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Preheat oven to 170 C/150 C Fan/Gas Mark 3
2. Combine coffee granules and just boiled water together and place in a medium sized mixing bowl with all the sponge ingredients. Beat together for a full 2 minutes with an electric whisk to give a smooth dropping consistency.
3. Divide mixture between 2 x 18cm tins which are greased and have their bases lined with baking parchment. Cook in the oven centre for around 20 minutes until the sponge springs back when lightly touched in the centre. Leave in the tins for 10 minutes before removing.
4. Turn out onto cooling trays and leave to cool whilst preparing the coffee buttercream.
5. Gradually beat the icing sugar into the butter using a wooden spoon to make a light and fluffy icing. Dissolve the coffee powder in the water and beat into the buttercream.
6. Use for filling and topping sponge, Decorate with remaining icing piped with a small star nozzle if required. Top with walnut halves and decorate with coffee beans.