Try our gluten free recipe to make this festive family favourite! The secret of a rich dark pudding is the length of time it is steamed; the longer the steaming, the richer the pudding.
350g good quality mixed dried fruit
150g ready-to-eat dried figs, dates or apricots, finely chopped
50g ground almonds
1 ½ tsp Gluten-free baking powder*
75g vegetable suet*
2 medium eggs
4 tbsp brandy
4 tsp. milk
110g muscovado sugar
150g diced cooking apple
*Refer to Coeliac UK directory
Large mixing bowl
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Whizz bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs, and combine with all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl using a wooden spoon.
2. Spoon into 2 x 900 ml / 1½ pt pyrex bowls or 8 individual bowls and cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
3. Wrap the whole basin in foil with the joined edges at the top, to use as a handle.
4. Steam the pudding* for 6 hours (or 2 hours for individual size), topping up with boiling water as required.
5. When cooked, cool and cover with fresh greaseproof paper and wrap in foil again. Store in a cool, dry place or freeze.
6. To reheat the pudding, steam again in the bowl for about 1½ hours. Turn out of the bowl on to a plate and decorate with holly or flame with brandy.
7. Serve with brandy sauce or brandy butter.