Treat your family to this delicious American style gluten free angel cake.
2 tsp. of gluten free baking powder*
220g butter, at room temperature
220g caster sugar
4 medium eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
red and yellow food colouring
*Refer to Coeliac UK directory
50g unsalted butter, softened
150g icing sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Lightly grease a 20 x 30cm rectangular cake tin. Cut a long sheet of greaseproof paper and fold in two large pleats the height of the tin. Carefully use to line the tin so you have three equal-sized rectangles inside the tin.
2. Preheat the oven 170°C/150ºC Fan/Gas mark 3.
3. Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well for 1 minute using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and the remaining cake ingredients beat well with the electric mixer for a further 1 – 2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy, then divide the mixture into three bowls. Colour one-third with a dash of red food colouring to make it pink and another with a dash of yellow; leave the third batter plain.
4. Spoon the mixtures into each third of the tin, with the plain layer in the centre. Spread to level out. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin before trimming any rounded tops and edges off the long sides.
5. For the buttercream, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light, pale and fluffy. Spread half over the yellow layer, sandwich with the pink layer and spread over the rest of the icing, before topping with the final plain layer.