1 Hours 35 - minutes
Delicious spicy bread buns crossed with shortcrust pastry.
2 tsp dried yeast (enclosed with mix)
2 tsp ground mixed spice
150ml full cream milk
25g//25ml boiling water
25g/1oz butter (melted)
1 medium egg (lightly beaten)
25g caster sugar
50g mixed citrus peel
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
2 tbsp cold water
50g/2oz aster sugar
2 tbsp boiling water
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Place 350g of the Flour Mix and yeast in a large mixing bowl and mix with a fork to combine.
2. Beat in the remaining ingredients with a wooden spoon and mix to a thick batter.
3. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave for an hour to prove until the mixture has doubled in size.
4. Stir the dough with a fork to knock out the air.
5. Spoon into 10cm rounds onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof, or into greased large muffin tins.
6. Smooth the hot cross buns with the back of dessertspoon dipped in water.
7. Cover with oiled cling film. Leave for 20 minutes to prove.
8. Place all the ingredients for the topping In a small bowl, including the remaining 50g of Flour Mix. Mix together to a paste. Place this in a piping bag, cut a small hole in the end and pipe x on the top of the buns.
9. Cook in a pre heated oven at 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas Mark 5 until the hot cross buns are golden and have risen.
10. Make the sugar syrup. Dissolve the sugar in the water. Brush onto buns whilst still warm.
11. Serve immediately or cut horizontally and serve toasted spread with butter.