40 ginger snaps
These traditional snaps are the perfect addition to your mid-morning cup of tea.
1/2 tsp. gluten free baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
a beaten egg
75g muscavado sugar
75g golden syrup
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. ground ginger
There are no comments for this recipe at the moment. To add a comment join or log in and then add your comment.
1. Combine soaking ingredients in a covered medium size mixing bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes until melted and simmered. Set aside to cool slightly for 30 minutes.
2. Place dried ingredients into a medium sized bowl and stir together. Stir in the cooled syrup mixture and then the egg with a wooden spoon. Work together into a sticky ball by squeezing by hand.
3. Knead on a work surface lightly dusted with a little Flour mix until smooth. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions (1 portion makes 10 biscuits). Place 1 portion onto a sheet of baking parchment paper and top with another sheet of baking parchment.
4. Roll out between the sheets of paper to the thickness of a £1 coin. Remove top paper and transfer rolled out mix on its parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Cut out 10 ginger snaps using a 5cm round cutter. Repeat points 3 and 4 with remaining portions.
5. Gently pull away trimmings leaving perfect ginger snaps resting on baking parchment on the baking sheet. prick snaps with a fork. Bake in the oven at 170C°/150 C°Fan/ Gas mark 3 for 8 - 10 minutes until just starting to brown
6. Meanwhile squeeze trimmings together and re-roll. Repeat the process with the remaining raw ginger snap mix to make 40 biscuits in total.
7. Leave cooked ginger snaps on the baking sheet until cool and crisp. Store in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.