New Spring Recipes!
Date: Friday 11th March 2011
The days are getting longer and the sun is starting to shine- Spring is finally here! And it's about time too seeing as we have had to endure the coldest winter for 31 years! Spring is seen as a time of growth, renewal, and new life (both plant and animal) being born. The term is also used more generally as a metaphor for the start of better times, as in the Prague Spring. So let's take a leaf out of Czechoslovakia's book and start Spring as we mean to go on- with delicious brand new Glutafin recipes that will put a spring in our step! Why not try your hand at making a scrumptious apple and raspberry crumble? Or maybe you fancy something savoury- try the chicken and mushroom pasta bake (recipes below). Or to take advantage of seasonal fruit and vegetables, why not try your hand at our Rhubarb and Ginger Cheesecake Layer? Or a delicious Spinach and Ricotta Tart? Whatever you fancy, we're sure to have something for you- just click here to browse our full recipe index. Happy munching!
Glutafin Apple and Raspberry Crumble Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Oven temperature: 220 C / Gas mark 7 Makes: 1 crumble/6 portions Ingredients Filling:
- 4 Medium sized cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 3 x 15ml tbsp Water
- 150g/5oz Raspberries
- 2 x 15ml tbsp Raspberry jam
- 50g/2oz Sugar
- 250g/9oz Glutafin Select Multipurpose White Mix
- 125g/4.5 oz Butter
- 25g/1oz Chopped almonds
- 25g/1oz Chopped hazelnuts
- 110g/4oz Demerara sugar
- Place prepared apple and water into a covered microwaveable container and microwave on full power for 3-4 minutes until the slices are just soft. Drain off the juices and combine apple with the raspberries, jam and sugar. Place in a medium sized ovenproof dish and leave until cold.
- Prepare crumble. Rub the butter into the White Mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the chopped nuts and sugar and spoon over cooled prepared fruit. Push crumble mixture with the back of a dessert spoon to give a smooth top.
- Cook until the topping is golden- the crumble with get crispier once it has been left to stand for 10 minutes.
Glutafin Chicken and Mushroom Pasta Bake
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Oven temperature: 220 C / Gas mark 7
Makes: 4 portions Ingredients Sauce:
- 175g/6oz Glutafin Penne Pasta
- 175g/6oz Cooked chicken (finely diced)
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 Clove garlic (crushed)
- 150g/5oz Chestnut mushrooms (finely diced)
- 50g/2oz Glutafin Select Multipurpose White Mix
- 600ml/ 1pt Milk
- 2 x 15ml tbsp Freshly chopped parsley
- 300ml/0.5 pt Half fat crème fraiche
- Generous pinch of ground black pepper and sea salt
- 25g/1 oz Prepared breadcrumbs made from a Glutafin Loaf
- 50g/2oz Mozzarella cheese (grated)
- Generous pinch of grated nutmeg
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of fast boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Melt butter and add garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes over a gentle heat until softened. Stir in the White Mix with a wooden spoon. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened and it is as simmering point. Remove from the heat and add the finely diced chicken, parsley and seasonings. Stir in the crème fraiche and cooked pasta. Spoon into a medium sized oven proof dish.
- Top pasta mix with the breadcrumbs and cheese and season with the nutmeg. Oven bake until the top is crisp and the sauce is bubbling. Serve with a mixed salad and a stem of oven roasted baby tomatoes.