Steamed Syrup Pudding Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 19 vote(s).
A real wintertime treat. For the best flavour steam sponge in a pan of simmering water.
You will need:
- 150g/5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 110g/4oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: -
- 150g/5oz Glutafin Select White Mix
- 1 x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder*
- 110g/4oz Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 110g/4oz Soft margarine
- 2 Lemons (grated rind of)
- 75g/3oz Golden syrup
- ½ x 5ml tsp Ground ginger (optional)
- 25g/1oz Butter (melted)
*Check in your Coeliac UK Gluten-free Food and Drink Directory for a suitable brand.
1.Place all the sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well for 2 minutes using an electric mixer until the mixture is light, pale and fluffy with a soft dropping consistency.
2.Spoon the syrup into the bottom of a greased 900ml/1½ pudding basin.
3.Top with the sponge.
4.Tie a greaseproof lid onto the basin with string and top with a foil lid.
5.Steam in a large pan of simmering water for 1½ hours.
6.Remove lid and turn out sponge onto a plate. Serve with custard.
Gluten--free, wheat-free option
Use 110g/4oz Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free White Mix, 2 x 15ml tbsp milk and remaining ingredients as shown.
Cover and store in a cool place for up to 2 days.