Steamed Apple Sponge Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 7 vote(s).
Made with Select White Mix this microwave cooked dessert can be finished off in the oven for 5 minutes for a golden brown topping. Once cooked,the sponge can easily be divided into single serving portions for freezing.
You will need:
- 150g/ 5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 110g/4oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: 180 C / Gas mark 4
- 3 Medium cooking apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 2 x 15ml tbsp Water
- 75g/ 3oz Sugar
- 150g/ 5oz Glutafin Select White Mix
- 110g/ 4oz Butter (at room temperature)
- 110g/4oz Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1 x 5ml tsp Natural extract of vanilla
- 1 x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 1 x 15ml tbsp Water
- 1 x 15ml tbsp Flaked almonds
- Warm custard
1.Place prepared apple into a medium size mixing bowl with the water. Cover and microwave for 2 -3 minutes until the slices are just soft but not pureed. Drain away juices and transfer apple slices to a microwave proof 1 litre capacity shallow dish.
2.Prepare sponge. Place all ingredients together in a medium size mixing bowl and whisk together with an electric whisk for a full 2 minutes to make a runny cake batter. Spoon over apple slices and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
3.Microwave for 5 – 6 minutes (800W oven) until the sponge is just cooked and still slightly wet on the surface. Transfer to a preheated oven at 180°C/ 170°C Fan/ Gas Mark 4 for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown on top.
4.Serve warm with custard.
Gluten-free, wheat-free option
Use 110g/4oz Gluten Free Wheat Free White Mix, 2 tbsp water and remaining ingredients as shown.
Place single portions in suitable sealed containers and freeze. Defrost for 2 hours and warm in the microwave for 45 seconds per portion before serving.