Simnel Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 18 vote(s).
Simnel Cake was traditionally baked as a special celebration cake on Mothering Sunday when daughters in service returned home for the day. It is now more traditional to have Simnnel Cake as the centrepiece of Easter Tea. This recipe makes a light fruit cake and uses Glutafin Select Multipurpose Fibre Mix. The fruit needs to be soaked for at least 6 hours or overnight but once this is done the recipe could not be easier to prepare.
You will need:
Oven temperature: 150°C / 130 - 140°C Fan Gas mark 2
- 525g mixed raisins, sultanas and currants
- 75g cherries and mixed peel
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 200ml water
- 350g Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose Fibre Mix
- 225g Butter, softened
- 225g Dark soft brown sugar
- 4 Medium eggs
- 2 x 5ml tsp Ground mixed spice
- 1 medium carrot, topped, tailed and finely grated
- 450 – 600g Marzipan
- 1 tbsp Apricot jam (warmed)
7. Once made the cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.