Plum and Almond Sponge Slice Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 67 vote(s).
This moist sponge cake combines two subtle flavours to achieve a truly tasty cake that can be enjoyed as a dessert or with a cup of tea.
You will need:
- 250g/9oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 225g/8oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: 170°C / Gas mark 3
- 150g/5oz Ripe plums (halved with stones removed and finely chopped)
- 2 x 15ml tbsp of water
- 250g/8oz Good quality plum jam (with 70g fruit per 100g jam)
- 110g/4oz Butter
- 75g/3oz Caster sugar
- 250g/9oz Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multi-purpose White Mix (or for gluten-free wheat-free option use 225g/8oz Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multi-purpose White Mix)
- 2 x 5ml tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 75g/3oz Ground almonds
- 2 Medium eggs (lightly whisked)
- 250g/9oz Prepared glace icing
- 25g/1oz Flaked almonds
1 hour soaking time
1.Prepare the plum syrup. Place all the prepared plums, plum jam, butter, water and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Cover and microwave for 6-8 minutes until the plums are just soft. Set aside for an hour to cool.
2.Once the plum syrup had cooled, stir in the Glutafin Mix, baking powder, ground almonds and eggs. Beat with a wooden spoon briefly to make a thick batter.
3.Spoon into a 23cm/9" square shallow greased and lined baking tin. Bake until golden and the sponge is just firm to the touch. Leave to cool.
4.Once cool remove from the container. Spoon over the prepared glace icing and sprinkle with the flaked almonds. Leave until set before cutting into finger length rectangular slices.
Tip: Use a 23cm/9" square foil tray to bake sponge.
To freeze: Place un-iced sponge in a large freezer bag and seal. Defrost for 2 hours before icing and cutting as above.