Pear and Ginger Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 2 vote(s).
For those who prefer a non marzipan and icing cake and the lighter side of rich and dark try this alternative festive cake made using Glutafin Select White Mix. If you can find them select ripe pears with a slightly red skin to top the cake as these look very attractive. Whilst very easy to prepare make sure you allow sufficient time for soaking the fruit as this is the secret of success. Use ginger stem in liquid syrup sold in jars.
You will need:
- 275g/ 10 oz of Glutafin Select Multipurpose White Mix
- 275h/10oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multipurpose White Mix
Oven temperature: 160 C / Gas mark 3
- 2 – 3 Ripe pears to give 275g/ 10 oz prepared fruit
- 75g/ 3oz Block dates
- 50g/2oz Stem ginger, drained and diced
- 4 x 15ml tbsp Ginger syrup from stem ginger jar
- 110g/ 4oz Butter
- 75g/ 3oz Soft dark brown sugar
- 275g/ 10 oz Glutafin Select White Mix
- 11/2 x 5ml tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 50g/ 2oz Ground almonds
- 3 Medium eggs
- ½ Pear, red skinned if possible (halved, cored and finely sliced)
- 1 x 15ml tbsp Demerara sugar
*Soaking time: 2 hours
1. Prepare soaking ingredients. Peel, core and dice pears and weigh accurately. Combine with the dates, ginger stem and syrup, butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cover and microwave for 8 – 9 minutes until the pear is soft. Stir with a spoon to break up the pear and make a rough paste. Set aside for 2 hours.
2. Once fruit has soaked, stir in the remaining ingredients and beat together for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon until combined.
3. Spoon into a 20cm/8” deep round cake tin lined with greaseproof paper. Smooth cake surface and top with the sliced pear. Sprinkle with the Demerara sugar and bake until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the cake centre.
4. Cool on a cooling tray before removing from the tin. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Gluten-free, wheat-free option
Use 250g/ 9oz Gluten Free Wheat Free White Mix, 1 x 15ml tbsp milk and remaining ingredients as shown.
Place in a large plastic container with a lid and freeze. Defrost for 3 hours before serving. Alternatively freeze individual slices in small freezer proof containers.