Lemon Madeira Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 21 vote(s).
Deliciously light with a really citrus flavour, this gluten free Lemon Madeira will have everyone asking for more!
You will need:
- 150g/ 5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 150g/5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: 160 C / Gas mark 3
150g/ 5oz Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix
110g/ 4oz Butter (melted)
2 Medium eggs
1 Medium egg yolk
110g/ 4oz Caster sugar
2 Lemons, grated zest and 1 x 15ml tbsp juice (reserve remainder for topping)
1 x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder
2 x 15ml tbsp Remaining lemon juice from above
75g/ 3oz Caster sugar
1. Place melted butter, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice and in a medium size mixing bowl and beat together with an electric whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients and whisk for a further minute to make a runny cake batter.
2. Spoon into a deep 450g/1lb greased and lined traditional loaf tin. Cook until the cake is well risen and golden and just firm to the touch.
3. Rest on a cooling tray and cool for 5 minutes before turning out. Meanwhile combine the remaining lemon juice and caster sugar together and spoon onto the cooked Madeira cake to give a crystalline topping. Allow to set before storing in an airtight tin for up to a week.
Gluten-free, wheat-free option
Use 150g/5oz Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free White Mix and remaining ingredients as shown.
Store in an airtight container and use within 5 days.
Freeze Madeira cake in an airtight container or cut into individual slices and freeze in freezer bags. Defrost for 2 hours before use. Reheat in a medium temperature oven for 15 minutes for serving warm