Country Fruit Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 7 vote(s).
How do you stop your fruit sinking in a gluten free fruit cake? Follow the recipe below to find out. Do allow yourself sufficient time for the soaking of the fruit as this is the secret to success. It is best if you can do this stage a day before you bake the cake. This recipe is great for an everyday fruit cake or for those who find a full on dark rich cake a bit too heavy.
You will need:
- 350g/ 12oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose Fibre Mix
- 350g/ 12oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose Fibre Mix
Oven temperature: 160º C / Gas mark 3
Fruit Soaking Mix
- 1 Medium (cooking apple, peeled cored and diced to give 120g prepared fruit)
- 250g/ 9oz Mixed dried fruit
- 110g/ 4oz Butter
- 2 Lemons (grated zest and juice of)
- 150g/ 5oz Muscovado sugar
- 350g/ 12oz Glutafin Select Fibre Mix
- 2 x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 2 x 5ml tsp Ground mixed spice
- 4 Medium eggs
- 1 x 15ml tbsp Each of flaked almonds and Demerara sugar
Soaking time: 4 hours or overnight
1.Prepare the filling preferably allowing mixture to soak overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours. Place all filling ingredients into a large size mixing bowl. Cover and microwave on full power for 8 minutes until the apple has broken down into a puree. Stir and microwave for a further minute. Leave to soak.
2.Once fruit has soaked prepare cake. Grease and line a deep 20cm/8” cake tin with baking paper. Stir soaked fruit into a large bowl containing all the cake ingredients. Combine with a wooden spoon to make a thick cake batter. Spoon into the prepared tin.
3.Sprinkle surface with the flaked almonds and Demerara sugar.
4.Cook for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the cake centre comes out clean.
5.Cool resting on a cooling rack before removing from the tin.
6.Store in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks.
Freeze whole in an airtight freezer bag or cut into slices, wrap and freeze.
Gluten-free, wheat-free option:
Use 350g/ 12oz Gluten Free, Wheat Free Fibre Mix and 3 x 15ml tbsp milk. Add at the cake ingredient stage. Add remaining ingredients as shown.