Coffee and Walnut Sponge Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 22 vote(s).
A traditional favourite and the perfect companion to a morning coffee or afternoon tea.
You will need:
- 150g/5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix
- 125g/4 1/2 oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix
Oven temperature: Preheated at 170 C/160 C Fan/325 F/Gas Mark 3
150g/5oz Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix*
1 x 5ml tsp Gluten free baking powder
1/2 x 5ml Xanthan gum (optional)
110g/4oz Butter (soft)
110g/4oz Caster sugar
2 Medium eggs
1 x 5ml tsp Coffee granules
2 x 5ml tsp Water (just boiled)
150g/5oz Butter (soft)
300g/11oz Icing sugar (sieved)
1 x 15ml tbsp Coffee powder
1 x 15ml tbsp Water (just boiled)
75g/3oz Walnut halves
8 Coffee beans
- Combine coffee granules and just boiled water together and place in a medium sized mixing bowl with all the sponge ingredients. Beat together for a full 2 minutes with an electric whisk to give a smooth dropping consistency.
- Divide mixture between 2 x 18cm/7" greased and lined sandwich tins. Cook in the oven centre until the sponge springs back when lightly touched in the centre.
- Turn out onto cooling trays and leave to cool whilst preparing the coffee buttercream.
- Gradually beat the icing sugar into the butter using a wooden spoon to make a light and fluffy icing. Dissolve the coffee powder in the water and beat into the buttercream.
- Use for filling and topping sponge, Decorate with remaining icing piped with a small star nozzle if required. Top with walnut halves and decorate with coffee beans.
*Gluten Free Wheat Free option:
125g/4 1/2 oz Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multipurpose White Mix
Suitable for home freezing for up to a month. Wrap in a freezer bag as a whole cake or cut into single portion slices and freeze individually.