Classic Christmas Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 28 vote(s).
This recipe makes a rich, moist fruit cake which is ready to eat or may be stored for up to 6 weeks in advance to allow flavours to mature. Feed with a tablespoon of brandy every few weeks for added flavour.
You will need:
- 300g/ 11oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose Fibre Mix (500g)
- 225g/8oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: Please refer to Method points 5 and 6.
450g/16oz Mixed Dried Fruit
110g/4oz Pitted dates (stones removed and finely chopped)
50g/2oz Glace cherries (halved)
225g/8oz Dark soft brown sugar
2 x 15ml tbsp Black treacle
2 Large oranges (grated zest and 150ml/1/4pt juice of)
300g/11oz Glutafin Select Gluten Free Multipurpose Fibre Mix
110g/4oz Ground almonds
2 x 5ml tsp Ground mixed spice
1 x 5ml tsp Xanthan gum
4 Medium eggs
- Line the base and sides of a deep 20cm/8”cake tin with a double layer of greased baking parchment paper ensuring the sides of the paper come up at least 5cm/2” above the top rim of the tin.
- Place soaking mix ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes or until the butter has just started to melt. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is just simmering. Stir and set aside to soak for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
- Place Glutafin Mix into a large mixing bowl with the remaining cake mix ingredients. Stir in the soaked fruit mix with a wooden spoon and beat together until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top surface with a spatula.
- Place on the bottom shelf of a preheated oven and cook for 2 hours at 150oC/140oC Fan/ 300oF/Gas Mark 2.
- Lower the temperature to 140oC/130oC Fan/275oF/Gas Mark 1 and cook for a further 1½ to 2 hours.
- Test the cake to check if it is cooked by inserting a fine skewer into the centre; if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. If the cake requires additional cooking retest every 20 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Rest cooked cake on a cooling tray and leave until completely cold before turning out.
- Store cooled cake wrapped in baking parchment paper in an airtight tin or wrapped in foil and keep in a cool place.
- Marzipan and ice with fondant or royal icing as required.
For Glutafin's Select Multipurpose White Mix use 225g of flour mix and reduce the orange juice to 100ml. Cook for 2½hours (although this may vary according to oven.)