Classic Christmas Cake Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 410 vote(s).
This recipe makes a rich, moist fruit cake which is ready to eat or may be stored for up to 6 weeks in advance to allow flavours to mature. Feed with a tablespoon of brandy every few weeks for added flavour.
You will need:
- 300g/ 11oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose Fibre Mix (500g)
- 225g/8oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: Please refer to Method points 5 and 6.
450g/16oz Mixed Dried Fruit
85g Pitted dates (stones removed and finely chopped)
60g Glace cherries (halved)
165g Dark soft brown sugar
1.5 tbsp Black treacle
Juice of 1 large orange (grated zest and 100ml/1/4pt juice of)
225g/11oz Glutafin Select Gluten Free Multipurpose Fibre Mix
75g/4oz Ground almonds
2 x 5ml tsp Ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
3 Medium eggs
- Line the base and sides of a deep 20cm/8”cake tin with a double layer of greased baking parchment paper ensuring the sides of the paper come up at least 5cm/2” above the top rim of the tin.
- Place soaking mix ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes or until the butter has just started to melt. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is just simmering. Stir and set aside to soak for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
- Place Glutafin Mix into a large mixing bowl with the remaining cake mix ingredients. Stir in the soaked fruit mix with a wooden spoon and beat together until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top surface with a spatula.
- Place on the bottom shelf of a preheated oven and cook for 2.5 hours at 150oC/140oC Fan/ 300oF/Gas Mark 2.
- Lower the temperature to 140oC/130oC Fan/275oF/Gas Mark 1 and cook for a further 1½ to 2 hours.
- Test the cake to check if it is cooked by inserting a fine skewer into the centre; if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. If the cake requires additional cooking retest every 20 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Rest cooked cake on a cooling tray and leave until completely cold before turning out.
- Store cooled cake wrapped in baking parchment paper in an airtight tin or wrapped in foil and keep in a cool place.
- Marzipan and ice with fondant or royal icing as required.
For Glutafin's Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix use 300g of flour mix and increase the orange juice to 125ml. Cook for 2 hours (although this may vary according to oven.)