Christmas Pudding Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 6 vote(s).
Once you have tried this recipe you will be converted for life and it will become a festive family favourite. The secret of success is to steam the medium size puddings for at least 6 hours. The longer the steaming the more the sugar caramelises and the pudding is richer and darker.
You will need:
- 110g / 4oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select White Loaf - sliced (400g)
- 110g / 4oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 75g of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 110g / 4oz of Glutafin Gluten Free White Loaf - sliced (400g)
Oven temperature: -
- 350g / 12oz Top quality mixed dried fruit
- 150g / 5oz Ready-to-eat dried figs, finely chopped
- 50g / 2oz Ground almonds
- 110g / 4oz Breadcrumbs made from a Glutafin Select White Loaf
- 110g / 4oz Glutafin Select White Mix
- 1 ½ x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder*
- 75g / 3oz Vegetable suet*
- 2 Medium eggs
- 4 x 15ml tbsp Brandy
- 1 x 15ml tbsp Milk
- 110g / 4oz Muscovado sugar
- 150g / 5oz Diced cooking apple
* Check in your Coeliac UK Gluten-Free Food & Drink Directory for suitable brands.
1. Combine ingredients together in a large mixing bowl using a wooden spoon.
2. Spoon into 2 x 900ml / 1½ pt pyrex bowls or 8 individual bowls and cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
3. Wrap the whole basin in foil with the joined edges at the top, to use as a handle.
4. Steam the pudding for 6 hours (or 2 hours for individual size), topping up with boiling water as required.
5. When cooked, cool and cover with fresh greaseproof paper and wrap in foil again. Store in a cool, dry place or freeze.
6. To reheat the pudding, steam again in the bowl for about 1½ hours. Turn out of the bowl on to a plate and decorate with holly or flame with brandy.
7. Serve with brandy sauce or brandy butter.
Adding half a lemon to the saucepan of boiling water will help keep the pan free of limescale in hard water areas.
Steaming can be done by placing the basin in a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid and filling with water to come half way up the sides of the basin. Place in the oven at 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5 and steam for the same recommended time.
The puddings can be made up to 3 months in advance or can be frozen for up to 18 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
Gluten Free, Wheat Free option:
Reduce the amount of White Mix to 75g of Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multipurpose White Mix.
Use Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free White Loaf instead of the Select Loaf.
Ensure the Vegetable Suet that is used is also Wheat Free.