Cheesy Straws! Recipe
of 3 vote(s).
Perfect alternative lunchbox filler - why not send them to school armed with some cheese straws and some homemade dips?!
You will need:
- Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 75g of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: 180°C/160°C Fan/ Gas mark 4
75g (3oz) Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix
40g(1½) English Butter
40g(1½) Cheddar Cheese grated
1 egg, beaten
5ml (1 level tsp) Djion Mustard*
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Gluten free wheat free option: Use Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Select Multipurpose White Mix instead
*please check Coeliac UK food directory for suitable brands
1. Mix the flour and seasoning together and rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add cheese and stir into mix evenly
2. Combine half the beaten egg with the mustard and stir into the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead lightly until smooth
3. Roll out the dough to a 15cm (6inch) square and place on a baking sheet. Brush with remaining beaten egg. Divide the dough into 7.5x1cm (3x½) oblongs
4. Bake in the oven 180°C (350°F) gas mark 4 for 12-15 minutes until golden.
5. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airproof container.
Peanut Butter and Butternut Squash dip:
1. Peel the butternut squash and soften in a pan with a small amount of water
2. Leave softened to cool and then mix with the peanut butter
Smoked Mackeral Dip:
1. Skin the fillet and mash into small pieces
2. Mix the cream cheese with the Mackerel