Black Forest Gateau Recipe
Cakes & Desserts
of 10 vote(s).
Cooking with chocolate can make a sponge quite dry so try this recipe with it's special ingredient to help make your gateau deliciously moist. Let others taste it before revealing your secret ingredient!
You will need:
- 175g/ 6oz of Glutafin Select Multipurpose White Mix
- 150g/5oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multipurpose White Mix
Oven temperature: 170°C / Gas mark 5
50g/2oz 70% cocoa solids chocolate**
150g/5oz Cooked beetroot (without vinegar)
175g/6oz Glutafin Select Multipurpose White Mix
1 x 5ml tsp Gluten free baking powder
25g/1oz Cocoa powder
150g/5oz Butter (at room temperature)
150g/5oz Soft light brown sugar
1 x 5ml tsp Natural extract of vanilla
3 Medium sized eggs
300ml/0.5pt Double cream
50g/2oz Icing sugar (sieved)
1 x 15ml tbsp Brandy (optional)
250g/9oz Prepared fruit (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or blackcurrants, black cherries or mandarins are all ideal)
50g/2oz Dark chocolate (grated)**
** Please refer to your Coeliac UK handbook for suitable brands
2. Whizz beetroot to a smooth puree in a food processor and place the remaining ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk all ingredients together for a full 2 minutes until a light sponge batter is made.
3 .Divide the mixture between 2 x 20cm/8" lightly greased cake tins lined with baking parchment.
4. Cook until the sponges have risen and are just firm to the touch, but do not open the oven door for 5 minutes before the end of cooking time or it will sink!
5. Cool for 5 minutes before turning out sponges onto a cooling tray.
6 . Prepare Chantilly cream. Whip cream until it just starts to thicken. Add icing sugar and brandy (optional) and whisk until just thick. Use half as a filling topped with half the prepared fruit. Use the remaining cream for gateau top and piping if required. Decorate with remaining fruit and grated chocolate.
7. Chill until required. Eat within 4 days.
For special occasions, drizzle the sponge base with kirsch liquor or brandy
Gluten Free Wheat Free Option: Use Gluten Free Wheat free Multipurpose White Mix
Cut into individual portions and open freeze until firm. Seal in a freezer container and freeze for up to a month. Defrost for 2 hours before serving. There may be some juice from the fruit soaked into the cream visible on defrosting but the flavour will be just as delicious.