Birthday Cake Recipe
of 53 vote(s).
Party perfect! This cake is sure to brighten up a children's birthday party.
You will need:
- 225g/ 8oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Select Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
- 165g/ 5½ oz of Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix (500g)
Oven temperature: 180 C / Gas mark 4
- 225g/ 8oz Glutafin Gluten Free Multipurpose White Mix
- 1 ½ x 5ml tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 165g/ 5 ½ oz Butter (at room temperature)
- 165g/ 5 ½ oz Caster Sugar
- 3 Medium eggs (at room temperature)
- 5 x 5ml tsp Cold water
- 1 ½ x 5ml tsp Natural extract of vanilla
- 500g/ 1lb Icing sugar (sieved)
- 225g/ 8oz Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 x 5ml tsp Natural extract of vanilla
- 75g/ 3oz Firm set jam
- 500g/ 1lb White fondant Icing
- 75g/3oz Each of red, blue and yellow fondant icing
- Coloured thin ribbon and candles
1. Beat sponge cake ingredients together with an electric whisk for a full 2 minutes to give a smooth dropping consistency. Place into a deep 20cm/8” greased and lined square cake tin.
2. Cook until the sponge springs back when lightly touched in the centre. Turn out onto cooling tray and leave until cold before cutting horizontally in half.
3. Prepare the buttercream. Beat icing sugar gradually into the softened butter and vanilla. Spread bottom sponge with half the buttercream and the jam and sandwich together with top sponge. Spread remaining butter cream thinly to cover cake top and sides.
4. Roll out white fondant icing to a £1 coin thickness on a work surface dusted with icing sugar. Cover cake top and sides and smooth icing out from the corners using cake smoothers or 2 palette knives. Trim away excess icing.
5. Roll out coloured fondants between sheets of baking parchment and cut into rounds to decorate cake. Fasten ribbon and top with candles.
Gluten-free, wheat-free option
Use 165g/ 5½ oz Glutafin Gluten Free Wheat Free Multipurpose White Mix, 3 x 15 ml Milk (instead of water) and remaining ingredients as shown.